Welcome to the travel blog of Blandine and Jan!

Follow our adventures in Latin America, the South Pacific and Asia!

Jan writes in English; Blandine écrit en français


Monday, January 2, 2012

Thursday, August 5th: Crickets and Coffee

5:00 AM, start of a new day and I'm feeling better. I run into Jimbo while I wait for my ice coffee and the P1 monitors. He's still got half a bag of crickets left. They're crunchy and sweet at the beginning, then get spicy at the end. Not bad, actually. Cambodians eat their crickets alongside a few beers. A nutritious snack full of calcium that compensates for the lack of milk in their diet. I'm happy to wash my crickets down with a bit of ice coffee. I'm actually in a pretty good mood and start singing the few PSE camp songs I've picked up already. The kids sitting next to me take the bait (and the crickets I offer them), and in no time the cabin becomes a big singing/cricket eating fiesta.

Lunch turns into a finger-licking Srei Sros affair again: this time I can participate. There are no emergencies and I actually catch a welcome 1,5 hour of sleep over lunch. Slow days were promised, but haven't materialised since the beginning of he camp.

A call comes in from P1: if I could pick up a kid with a ball of pus on his foot, he needs to be brought to the infirmary. Easy enough, right? Well the kid kicks, screams and shouts things to me in Cambodian. Porn translates: "I'm  going to call my dad, he's going to kill you!" I'm glad when the kid's safely in the infirmary, they know how to handle such cases.

The day ends without too much trouble, I spend the evening writing in my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment